WE NEED VOLUNTEERS JUST LIKE YOU!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Martin County Schools. We are pleased to announce the implementation of SecureVolunteer (Powered by BIB)--an online site for volunteer background screenings. Follow the link below to our SecureVolunteer site to start the background screening process.
The current price of a volunteer background screening is $21.95 and is the same whether a volunteer has had one or more legal names.
Check the email account that you entered into your volunteer application for updates during the screening/approval process.
(A printable volunteer brochure may be downloaded HERE.)
Questions about your Volunteer Status? Contact your Child's School.
Questions about SecureVolunteer or the District's Volunteer Procedures? Contact the MCS Human Resources Department (252-792-1575 or email@example.com)
DO I NEED A BACKGROUND SCREENING TO VOLUNTEER?
Does NOT Require a Background Screening
Requires a Background Screening
Requires a Background Screening & a Drug Screening
Works under the direct supervision and direction of a staff member at all times
Works under the direction of a staff member, but may work with students alone without the presence of a staff member
Works with students alone without the presence of a staff member extensively through athletic events or overnight field trips
NO INDIVIDUAL WILL BE PERMITTED TO ATTEND A SCHOOL-SPONSORED FIELD TRIP WITHOUT HAVING FIRST COMPLETED THE SCREENING PROCESS.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Is this a Board of Education Policy? Yes, Martin County Board of Education Policy 3320 School Trips and Policy 5015 School Volunteers both speak to this issue. These policies are available to review under "Board of Education" on our website. (https://www.martin.k12.nc.us/browse/30069)
2. How often will I have to have a background check? Your background check will be good for one year.
3. What company does Martin County Schools utilize to conduct the background screenings? Martin County Schools utilizes Background Investigation Bureau (BIB) to conduct our background screenings. This platform only includes a criminal records check and a driving records check. BIB accesses County Court Records, State Repository Records, Federal Records, Criminal Record Databases, the National Sex Offender Registry Search, Security Watch Lists, and International Records. It does not include any type of financial/credit history component.)
4. If my background check is approved while my child(ren) attend(s) one school and then we transfer to another school, do I have to go through another background check again? No, school personnel will have access to see who has been approved for the entire district.
5. Why do I have to provide my Social Security number if my credit information is not a part of the background screening? In order to conduct a complete background check, it is necessary to determine all of the places a person has lived and to access criminal databases in states outside of the individual’s current residence in North Carolina. BIB has informed us that the only way to access that information is by utilizing an individual’s social security number because it is required on mortgages and by most rental leases.
6. If I am a MCS employee, do I have to complete a background check? MCS staff, university student interns, School Resource Officers, and active local and state law enforcement officers do not need to complete a separate background check to volunteer. These individuals are already thoroughly screened before they work with students.
7. Can a background check from another agency or employer be used? We will be glad to review other background checks; however, we must be able to substantiate through the agency that provided the report that it is comprehensive in nature and meets or exceeds the criteria of the background checks performed through BIB.
THE SAFETY OF ALL CHILDREN IS OUR #1 CONCERN.